A Typical local dish from Kujyukuri region
Sardines marinated in Unohana (tofu refuse)
This dish can be made with anchovies, sardines or saury. It is prepared as a preserved food and as a food for everyday. It is normally cooked with sardines caught between November ad March and it is served in festivals and in new year celebrations.
[ A: Preparations ]
- Salt1/2 cup
- Vinegar3 cups (for twice)
- SugarA little
[ Unohana:Tofu Refuse ]
- Okara (Tofu refuse)400g
- Vinegarenough to moist Okara
- Chile pepper2
- Roasted sesame1/2 cup
- SaltA little
- Yuzu (Japanese citrus) peel1 yuzu
- Clean sardines by removing head, inner and bones. Add salt and let it rest for 2-3 hours.
- Wash 1 with cold water and and marinate them with half amount of vinegar for 10 hours.
- Add sugar to the rest of the vinegar to make vinegar mix. Drain the first vinegar and add vinegar mix and marinate for 10 more hours.
- Roast Okara with vinegar and sugar in a thick frying pan or in a thick pot. Season to taste and let it cool. Once it is cooled, add Yuzu peels, cut chili pepper, roasted sesame and salt.
- Drain vinegar from the fish and mix with 4
Information provided by : Shigeo Igeta