Pickles made with Chichibu’s traditional vegetables
Shakusina is a vegetable which has been grown for long time in the Chichibu region. This pickles is shinny and crunchy. Aged pickle is in an amber color and has a different flavor but it is lovely as well. Shakushina Zuke can be eaten as a pickles but also is used to make other dishes by stir flying with soy sauce or used as a staffing for Manju.
- Red pepperas you wish
- Sun dry the Shakushina for a half day.
- Wash and drain the Shakushina and lay them alternately on the bottom of the barrel and add salt. Place 5kg stone weight for pickling.
- There will be water coming from the vegetable in two days, but if not, add some water.
- Pickle it for 10 days and deep plow to make sure all the vegetable are pickles in similar ways.
- Spread a plastic bag on the bottom and lay 4 and add 2.5kg stone weight.
Information provided by : Saitama traditional local food recipe book