- fish fillets (aji (Japanese horse mackerel), kisu (Japanese whiting) or similar)300g
- katakuriko (starch)1 tablespoon
- sugar2 tablespoons
- locally sourced sake1-2 tablespoons
- salt1 teaspoon
- Oilas required
- Dice fish meat finely then grind with a mortar and pestle (or food processor) until it becomes sticky. Add salt, sugar and sake. Finally add katakuriko (starch) and mix further.
- Shape into small ovals as you would a hamburger patty, and fry slowly in oil. Cook until golden brown. If they darken too soon, fry some sweet potato tempura first to lower the oil temperature.
※Adjust katakuriko in accordance with water content of fish. Drained tofu can be added for a softer texture.
Information provided by : NPO Research of Food Education of Kirishima