- Japanese crucian carp1kg
- wood bark or bamboo skinOne piece
- umeboshi pickled plumsThree big
- sake rice wine1〜1・1/2cups
- soy sauce2cups
- mizuame thick and sticky sweetener100g
- Gut the fish and wash well with water.
- Put them on skewers, grill them until golden brown, and let them sit to cool.
- Place the wood bark (or bamboo skin) in a pot, and place the fish on top of it.
(Place them with their tails pointing to the center of the pot so that they look like a chrysanthemum flower.)
Add umeboshi plums.
- Pour water in the pot until the fish is completely covered. Add sugar and sake. Bring it to boil on a high heat, and then simmer at low heat for 2.5 hours.
- Add soy sauce when the fish is cooked soft, and simmer for another 1.5 hours.
- Add mizuame sweetener, take it off the heat, and let it sit to cool.
*The wood bark or bamboo skin can be replaced by thin slices of daikon radish.
*Do not move the pot or touch the fish with chopsticks while cooking to maintain the original shape.
Information provided by : Tochigi Prefecture Agricultural Advisory Board