Luxurious dish of sea urchin and salmon roe served over rice
Uni Ikura Don
Hokkaido is known for its fresh seafood, especially uni sea urchin and ikura salmon roe. Uni Ikura Don offers the luxury of having plenty of them over rice. The melting texture of fresh sea urchin goes perfectly with the pop-in-the-mouth texture of salmon roe. Two species of sea urchin are mainly used for this dish in Hokkaido, bafun uni and murasaki uni, and salmon roe can be either marinated in sweet soy sauce or brined. Among various types of Kaisen Don, delicious seafood bowl served with a variety of seafood including sea urchin, salmon roe, scallops and crabs, Uni Ikura Don is one of the most popular dish for both the locals and visitors to enjoy the best ingredients that the season has to offer.
for 1 persons
- riceA bowl of rice
- salmon roe100g
- sea urchin100g
- Wasabi grated green horseradish to tasteProper quantity
- Soy sauce to tasteProper quantity
- Flakes of nori dried laver seaweed to tasteProper quantity
[ Ａ ]
- kombu seaweed broth1080cc
- light soy sauce90cc
- regular soy sauce90cc
- sake rice wince180cc
- boiled mirin sweet cooking rice wine90cc
- Marinate salmon roe in the mix of A for 24 hours. They should be about 1.5 times in size. Adjust the amount of salt to taste.
- Sprinkle nori flakes over rice, and put sea urchin and marinated salmon roe on top of it.
- Mix wasabi and soy sauce, and pour it over the bowl.
Information provided by : “100 greatest cuisine from across Japan”, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries